Monday, January 26, 2009

Why Flannel? (Production and Inspiration)

Anyone that knows me well knows that I am very much into the new era of hip-hop music. That is in no way discounting the earth shattering origins of our culture, I just didnt get addicted until fairly recently.
Before JBird came to my parents house one autumn evening with copies of Fantastic Damage and Deep Puddle Dynamics (forever altering my life), I was deeply immersed in indie rock acts such as The Appleseed Cast (PLAYING AT THE OPOLIS FEBRUARY 4TH!), and Benton Falls, as well as "Alternative Country" bands such as Wilco and my beloved Lucero.


(LUCERO)

This was a time in my life where my first love, gut wrenching unapologetic punk rock, wasnt challenging me musically...I needed something more, and the independent country sound totally filled the void in my soul.


(WILCO)

Now, in Oklahoma there is a huge movement called "Red Dirt Country Music"...and I find it very important to differentiate these two sounds. Red Dirt sounds like regular country music, albeit with darker, mostly R rated themes. The music that has inspired me comes from a different place, a different mindset--somewhere between Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson...instead of (sorry!) racist rednecks like Hank Jr. and David Allen Coe.

edit: I dont meant to offend anyone--I know everyone out here loves the red dirt stuff, it just never related to me.

Anyway.

In producing the new 8Bit album "Flannel", I have turned back to these magical sounds. It is a simpler sound, a pure sound. Alot of the album will be composed by myself, but definitely has some amazing samples from songs forgotten by time. My rhythm sequencing in the past has been very complicated, with lots of almost drum and bass inspired (even though i can barely stomach the stuff) patterns. I have dumbed this down, focusing more on the overall sound and complimenting the melody--instead of covering it up with 1,287 different drum sounds.

Dont worry though, it will keep your head nodding.

If you are interested in checking out some of the music I have been listening to for inspiration, I have composed a list of bands you may enjoy:

Sun Kil Moon
Bon Iver
Drive By Truckers
Uncle Tupelo
Jets To Brazil
Slobberbone

Enjoy!

On a side note:
We are fairly close to finishing the before titled "Long Way Home EP"...and have mutually decided to re-title it "Toothpick" now.

Sorry for ranting, its the coffee's fault.

Love always,
saevio

No comments: