Tuesday, January 20, 2009

And So It Ends...And Begins

The inauguration of the 44th president brings an end not only to the failed tenure of "Dub-ya", but also an end to a very exciting year of media coverage and political attention. Since the primaries began about a year ago, my gf and I have paid very close attention to the 4th branch, aka CNN, MSNBC, and other television channels(excluding FOX News) that chose to cover this election with a somewhat neutral viewpoint. I must say, it was a blast! The primary and general elections were so intense this year that it became a sport to us. We became "fans" of the candidate for change and we watched closely, with hopeful eyes, the journey of a mixed kid from Planet Earth become the leader of our country and the free world.
obama king
Spike Lee pointed out that this country has never had two consecutive days of such significance. It's fitting that MLK's birthday and the inauguration of the first Black president would be adjacent on 2009's calendar. Throughout this election, I kept the thought of Dr. King in my mind and in my heart, often wondering how he would feel had he survived the civil rights movement. His "Letter from Birmingham Jail" has stuck with me since closely studying it in college. The urgency in his words seemed to be powered by the slaves that suffered before him, and his actions seemed to be inspired by the same audacity of hope that president Obama carries.
Birmingham jail
There has been many memorable moments during Barack's plight to the highest leadership office. Like the look on Hillary Clinton's face as her and Bill watched a better candidate take "HER" presidency from the manly pockets of her woman suit. She must watch Ellen.
Hill
Another moment that sticks out is when John McCain had to quite the storm he and his campaign created when an ignorant old bat said that Obama was a dangerous Arab at a McCain/Palin rally. I'll leave Palin out of this because she was obviously out of her league...But what stands out way above every moment to me is the uncontrollable emotions of Rev. Jesse Jackson when it was evident that a Black man would be our president.
jackson crying
Jesse Jackson, who has had ups and downs in his public service career, has lived to see a dream. Jesse was with Dr. King at that motel in Memphis when that bullet ended the legendary civil rights leader's life. Like MLK, Jackson marched for civil rights and endured racial discrimination. I can't imagine the joy he experienced as he witnessed a nation rise up and vote for Obama just 40 years after the assassination of his friend Martin Luther King.
king jacksondeathking
It has been a great journey into the heart of our country and the heart of ourselves. Lets build.

3 comments:

Rhoda said...

This is a great time in our history, and for the first time in my life, I feel proud of my president, and excited to be an American. Barack Obama represents my voice, and I'm glad to see your views on him. Nice post.

Justin C. Cliburn said...

I still have moments of disbelief when I hear "President Obama." It's amazing to think that this happened not only in my lifetime, but while I am still in my twenties. 2008 was indeed an exciting year; I don't know what can happen in 2009 to even approach the excitement and history created over the past twelve months.

Sofisti-Phunk said...

personally, I love when spike was interviewed at the inauguration ceremony. in reference to watching Bush leave, he just told us he saw him and was like "BYE!"
there's probably a youtube clip somewhere. I laughed on and off for some time...